PRESENTATION OF Modafinil 200mg
1. WHAT Modafinil 200mg 100 tabs IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
The active substance is Modafinil.
Each tablet contains 200 mg modafinil
Modafinil 200mg 100 tabs can be taken by adults who suffer from narcolepsy to help them to stay awake. Narcolepsy is a
condition that causes excessive daytime sleepiness and a tendency to fall asleep suddenly in inappropriate
situations (sleep attacks). Modafinil may improve your narcolepsy and reduce the likelihood that you will have
sleep attacks but there may still be other ways that you can improve your condition and your doctor will advise you.
2. BEFORE YOU TAKE MODAFINIL
Do not take Modafinil 200mg 100 tabs if you
• are allergic (hypersensitive) to modafinil or to any of the other ingredients of Modafinil (see section 6 ‘What
• Have an irregular heartbeat.
• Have uncontrolled, moderate to severe high blood pressure (hypertension).
Take special care with Modafinil if you
• Have any heart problems or high blood pressure. Your doctor will need to check these regularly while
you are taking Modafinil.
• Have ever had depression, low mood, anxiety, psychosis (loss of contact with reality) or mania (overexcitement or feeling of extreme happiness) or bipolar disorder because Modafinil may make your
• Have kidney or liver problems (because you will need to take a lower dose).
• Have had alcohol or drug problems in the past.
Children aged less than 18 years should not take this medicine.
Other things to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about
• Some people have reported having suicidal or aggressive thoughts or behaviour while taking this medicine.
Tell your doctor straight away if you notice that you are becoming depressed, feel aggressive or
hostile towards other people or have suicidal thoughts or other changes in your behaviour (see section 4).
You may want to consider asking a family member or close friend to help you look out for signs of depression or
other changes in your behaviour.
• This medicine has the potential for you to become reliant (dependent) on it after long-term use. If you need
to take it for a long time your doctor will check regularly that it is still the best medicine for you.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including
medicines obtained without a prescription. Modafinil and certain other medicines can affect each other and
your doctor may need to adjust the doses that you are taking. It is especially important if you are taking any of
the following medicines as well as Modafinil 200mg 100 tabs:
• Hormonal contraceptives (including the contraceptive pills, implants, intrauterine devices (IUDs) and
patches). You will need to consider other birth control methods while taking Modafinil, and for two months
after stopping treatment, because Modafinil reduces their effectiveness.
• Omeprazole (for acid reflux, indigestion or ulcers).
• Antiviral medicines to treat HIV infection (protease inhibitors e.g. indinavir or ritonavir).
• Ciclosporin (used to prevent organ transplant rejection, or for arthritis or psoriasis).
• Medicines for epilepsy (e.g. carbamazepine, phenobarbital or phenytoin).
• Medicines for depression (e.g. amitriptyline, citalopram or fluoxetine) or anxiety (e.g. diazepam).
• Medicines for thinning the blood (e.g. warfarin). Your doctor will monitor your blood clotting times during
• Calcium channel blockers or beta-blockers for high blood pressure or heart problems (e.g. amlodipine,
verapamil or propranalol).
• Statin medicines for lowering cholesterol (e.g. atorvastatin or simvastatin).
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are pregnant (or think that you may be), are planning to become pregnant, or are breast feeding, you
should not take Modafinil. It is not known if your medicine may harm your unborn baby.
Talk to your doctor about the birth control methods that will be right for you while you are taking Modafinil (and
for two months after stopping) or if you have any other concerns.
Driving and using machines
Modafinil can cause blurred vision or dizziness in up to 1 in 10 people. If you are affected or you find that
while using this medication you still feel very sleepy, do not attempt to drive or operate machinery.